Monday, November 7, 2011

Tom Ford Black Orchid perfume Dupe?

When I did recent post on my favorite fall perfumes, I noticed that Tom Ford Black Orchid perfume and Fresh Cannabis Santal had many similar notes.  I have listed their notes below and underlined the ones that are similar.

Tom Ford Black Orchid
Notes:
Bergamot, Citrus, Mandarin, Black Gardenia, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Lotus Wood, Orchid, Spicy Floral Accord, Orchid (Tom Ford Black Accord), Patchouli, Sandalwood, Incense, Vanilla.

Fresh Cannabis Santal
Notes:
Bergamot, Brazilian Orange, Black Plum, Patchouli, Cannabis Accord, Rose, Chocolate, Vetiver, Vanilla Musks.

So, today I sprayed one on each hand and my  husband and I put our noses together to see if these are really similar enough to call dupes. 


Upon initial spray, they don't smell a like at all.  Black Orchid is much spicier and stronger than Cannabis Santal.  Black Orchid is much more of an evening scent.  However, Fresh Cannabis Santal is light enough to wear during the day, even though it still a spicy scent.

After an hour we smelled them again and Black Orchid was still very strong and Cannabis Santal was barely there.  After they dry down, they are both still spicy, but I smell more of the orange notes in the Cannabis Santal.

Bottom line:  Are they dupes?  No.  Do they smell pretty similar?  Not really.  However, they both smell great and if you like one, you will probably like the other.  So, if you don't have the funds to shell out for Tom Ford Black Orchid, you might want to give Fresh Cannabis Santal a try.  I love them both, but Tom Ford Black Orchid is my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment